Friday, April 19, 2013

My Baby Sister


I came into this world as little sister to an amazing big brother. A few years later I became a big sister to a little brother... and then another little brother... and I started to get worried. Brothers are awesome, but there was something in me that needed a sister.

I think I started praying for a baby sister the moment I could speak. I also asked my parents for one, but they obviously couldn't be trusted to do that right. I had a cute dark haired Cabbage Patch doll that I named Angelica. She would have to do until the real thing came along. I did everything with her and continually reminded both my parents and my Heavenly Father of my need for a real sister. 

Then when I was six years old (which is a LONG time to wait!) I had a beautiful spiritual experience that is much too personal to share on the internet, but as a result I knew that she was coming. When I woke up I ran in to tell my mom that she was pregnant and that Angelica was on her way. My mom really was pregnant, but she hadn't told anyone yet and it was much too early to know the gender of the baby. She was too sweet to let me get my hopes up again, so she tried to tell me all the great things about having another brother, just in case. But I knew.

Three days before my seventh birthday I got the only thing I had ever truly wanted in my life up to that point. My beautiful baby sister was born and I needed no other sort of birthday present. All I wanted to do for the remainder of that summer was hold that sweet baby girl in my arms. I was constantly stealing her away from other people because I knew the best way to rock her to sleep or get her to smile, and really I felt like I had some sort of claim on her. She was obviously mine! I knew other people loved her, but I had prayed my entire life to get her here! If they wanted to spend more time with her maybe they should have shown more initiative!

I was so excited for every step of our journey as sisters. I couldn't wait to teach her all that my little seven year old brain had already stored up. I hoped she would love Cinderella and the Little Mermaid as much as I did. We would get to do those girly things together that I couldn't do with my brothers! I was fairly certain that there would be nothing but sunshine and roses on our path.

Of course that didn't turn out to be entirely true. But there is one thing that never changed, and that is that I love my baby sister and I still feel like she is mine more than she is anyone else's. 

Two weeks ago I dropped Sister Angelica Strasser off at the MTC. She will be serving the Lord as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the next 18 months in the Denver Colorado Mission. I am so proud of her! But leaving her there was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Because she is mine! And as I held her in my arms one last time and kissed her on the forehead I had to question myself. Did I set a good example for her? Have I taught her the things she will need to be successful? Have I shown her through my words and my actions that I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and that the work she is doing is the work of God? Does she truly know how much I love her? 

I hope the answer to those questions is yes. 

Because though I will miss my Angelica terribly, I have never been more proud to call her my baby sister.



1 comment: